STERLINGS was founded by a high tech/life sciences professional, Kush Kapila, who like many busy professionals found the process of traveling and waiting for a haircut often frustrating and time consuming. Following a particularly bad episode that entailed waiting 40 minutes in line for a less than satisfactory hair cut, Kapila passed a gourmet food truck – another embodiment of the value of mobile services – and the STERLINGS concept was born. After testing the idea with numerous professionals, and being awarded 1st place at the 2011 UCSD Entrepreneur challenge for a consumer product, he was confident that he had discovered an unmet need. What separates STERLINGS from the brick and mortar chains is not only the elimination of having to drive or wait in line but the superior haircuts and atmosphere the service provides — all at a price comparable to the chain salons. STERLINGS is a member of the prestigious CONNECT springboard program and is well funded through private investment.
Kush Kapila (BS, MS, MBA) – Founder & CEO:
- Marketing professional with over 9 years of experience working in hardware and software, for private and public companies in the life science and high tech industries. Kush has an undergraduate degree in Computer Science from McGill University, a Masters in Bioinformatics from Concordia University and and MBA from the Rady School of Management at UCSD.
Heather O’Quinn – Industry Strategy:
- 20+ years hair care experience. Former director of operations at Robert Cromeans
Judith Ohrn Hicks – Human Resources:
- 20+ years of experience in the field of human resource management. Vice-President of HR at Accelrys
Derek J. Lobo (B.A., J.D.) – General Counsel:
- Attorney with 20+ years experience specializing in business law
Mike Sick – Advisor:
- 30+ years of marketing experience. Former VP of Marketing for Jack in the box and Pearle Vision
Stan Kim – Advisor:
- COO and general counsel of Softmax. Expertise in biotech, high tech and IP